It’s no longer kids and teenage boys who play computer and video games. Today, gamers come in all demographics. And they’re buying games at unbelievable rates, creating a multibillion dollar industry.
Here are some shocking stats about the video game industry and gamers.
1. The average gamer is 34 years old and has been playing computer and video games for 12 years.
2. 67% of US households play video games.
3. The average gamer spends about 8 hours a week playing video games.
4. The average video game purchaser is 39 years old.
5. 40% of all gamers are female.
6. The computer and video game industry generated $10.5 billion in revenue in 2009.
7. 26% of all gamers are over the age of 50.
8. About 9% of child gamers are pathologically or clinically addicted to playing video games.
9. 4% of US gamers are “extreme gamers” who spend 50 hours or more each week playing games.
10. 20 million players have spent 17 billion hours playing online with Xbox Live.
Which of these statistics is most surprising to you? Share your thoughts by leaving a comment below.